Five years ago these guys went shopping at Raw Materials with help from our then-mascot and head of security, Wonton. Good times. And today, we open for business at our new location at 645 S. Los Angeles Street. Will you be there?
August 8, 2018 we showed street artist James Wilde some love, and here we are a year later and even with all these changes and so much new stuff going on – yeah, we still love her!
BTW, one week until we open at our new location – 645 S. Los Angeles Street. Will you be there?
Strathmore’s last 2019 FREE Online Workshop will be starting up again soon and we are so excited for this virtual classroom! Get ready for Intro to Painting with Gouache, with artist/instructor Myriam Tillson, which starts September 3, 2019!
This gouache workshop will explore the use of gouache as a painting medium in its own right. Students will learn about the particular properties of the medium, how it compares to other similar paints such as watercolor and acrylic, what materials work best with it, and how to use it to make the most of it and its specific qualities.
Viewers will be introduced to the paint in some detail, and will be shown which papers, brushes and tools can help enhance their experience with the medium. You’ll learn key tips and tricks to get more familiar with gouache, how to use gouache in an opaque manner, how to achieve the ideal consistency, and alternative applications.
Here is some basic information about how Strathmore Online Workshops work:
- Workshops are self-paced. You participate when you want.
- If you registered for the Online Workshops, you will receive an email at the start of each Workshop. Note that you will not be receiving an email each week a workshop lesson is published (only at the start of the workshop).
- Each Workshop has 4 weekly lessons. Once a workshop begins, a lesson is published on the Workshop page each week for four weeks. Once the lessons are published, they will stay active on the site until December 31.
- In addition to the lessons, students can participate in conversations on our discussion boards or share work in the classroom photo gallery.
- Each weekly lesson includes a video lesson and downloadable instruction sheet. You will complete assignments on your own, at your own pace. Due to the size of the classes, there is no formal instructor review of your assignments.
- Instructors will actively participate at the start of each workshop through the first 4 weeks. Instructors will post tips and comments during this time. However, due to the size of the classes, they may not be able to respond to all of students’ questions or comments. Strathmore will be helping out our instructors during this time. After the 4 weeks, Strathmore will continue to monitor classroom discussions and answer questions, with the help of the instructor as needed.
This video of our friend S.C. Mero, a DTLA artist who shops at Raw Materials, is also about a year old. Have you seen her remote-controlled traffic cone zipping through the hood? 🚧 Unfortunately the traffic cone wasn’t with her when she was walking from Sonoratown recently, and she, along with her companion, was hit by a drunk driver and rushed to the hospital with a concussion and other injuries. S.C. assured us through her social media platforms that she is okay and full of love. She’s so amazing. We’re so relieved she’s got such a hard head that she survived. Yay, artists!