Since its founding, Gamblin Artists Colors has handcrafted luscious oil colors and contemporary mediums true to the working properties of traditional materials, yet safer and more permanent. Gamblin’s dedication to today’s oil painters extends beyond offering the finest possible materials – they believe in sharing their knowledge so painters can choose those materials that best support their own artistic visions.
Understanding Contemporary Oil Painting Materials, a 90 minute Lecture Demonstration will cover the following:
- Color Theory – 2-dimensional vs 3-dimensional Color Space
- Color Mixing – Navigating Color Space: Gamblin’s practical approach to color mixing
- Artist’s Oil Colors – Gamblin’s approach to color making
- Mineral vs Modern Pigments – How to create a personalized palette of colors
- Indirect vs Direct Techniques – Historical application of opaque and transparent colors
- FastMatte Alkyd Oil Colors – Benefits and uses of fast-drying, matte oil colors
- 1980 Oil Colors – True Color. Real Value.
- Painting Mediums – Choosing the right medium, including working properties and drying rates
- Building Permanent Paintings – Understanding Fat Over Lean
- Supports, Sizing and Grounds – How they affect color and permanence
- Gamvar Picture Varnish – Understanding contemporary varnishes and controlling surface quality
- Studio Safety – Create without compromise in a safe studio
Gamblin Artist Colors will provide each attendee with a FREE sample bag including products and literature.
About the Presenter
Timothy Robert Smith is a Los Angeles based oil painter and muralist, using observational techniques to portray a multi-dimensional perspective of the universe. Since recently graduating from Laguna College of Art and Design with an MFA in studio art, he has had two exhibitions at Copro Gallery in Bergamot Station. He currently teaches at CSU Los Angeles, where he received his BFA degree. Timothy’s artwork can be viewed at www.timothyrobertsmith.com.