Americans for the Arts released Americans Speak Out About the Arts, one of the largest national public opinion surveys of American perceptions and attitudes towards the arts and arts funding. The new research demonstrates that Americans continue to be highly engaged in the arts and believe more strongly than ever that the arts promote personal well-being, help us understand other cultures, are essential to a well-rounded education, and that government has an important role in funding the arts.
A large national sample of 3,023 adults were polled online by Ipsos in May 2018 on topics such as the importance of arts education, support for government arts funding, personal engagement in the arts, and personal and community benefits that come from engaging in the arts.
Key findings from Americans Speak Out About the Arts include:
• 91% of Americans show overwhelming support for arts education.
• 73% agree the arts give the nation’s communities identity and unity.
• 72% of Americans are highly engaged in the arts and experience them in unexpected places.
• 69% agree the arts improve personal well-being and provide meaning to citizens’ lives.
• 64% of Americans approve of government funding for the arts is viewed favorably.